Use These Stress Management Tips
So You Can Take Back Control Over Your Life
Whenever I give a class on stress management, everyone asks for stress management tips that they can use to live more balanced and peaceful lives.
Why is controlling stress so important? Because if you are not successful in handling it, it can cause major problems in your relationships, your work, your mental, spiritual and emotional well being, and your health.
While it isn’t possible to get rid of all of the stress in your life, you can take some steps to handle it more effectively.
Seven Simple Stress Management Tips
The following techniques can help you get a handle on stress before it gets totally out of control.
- Say a Prayer for Peace of Mind – When you are under a great deal of stress, one of the most effective things that you can do is to say a prayer for peace of mind. When your mind is at peace, it is easier for you to deal with all of the things that are going on in your life. After you say your prayer for peace, you will usually feel more in control of everything. This is one of my top stress management tips because, when you use it, all of the other ideas seem much easier to apply.
- Assert Yourself – Learn how to say “NO!” Most people feel overwhelmed because they are pulled in too many directions at the same time. Does this sound like you? Then learn to say no to those things that you really don’t want to do. And when you say no, don’t feel guilty about it. This is your life and you have the right to determine how you are going to use your time.
- Create a Budget – One of the greatest sources of stress for people is finances. Do you know where your money is going? Create a budget so you have some sense of control over your financial life. You can find out where you might be wasting money, and also, where you want to use your money more wisely. Knowing what is going on in your financial world can bring you an incredible feeling of peace.
- Cognitive Restructuring – You may feel stressed because you keep telling yourself that you should be able to complete all of the things that are on your to-do list. So instead of focusing on what you have accomplished, you keep thinking about how you have failed to get everything done. This kind of negative self talk is going to wreak havoc on your self esteem and confidence. That is when cognitive restructuring can be a valuable asset.
You can challenge negative thoughts and feelings and turn them into positive ones. Instead of saying to yourself, “Look at the things I haven’t done yet,” you can tell yourself, “Wow, I have been able to cross so many things off my to-do list. I have been really productive today.” You are training your brain to see things in a more positive light. This will help you reduce your perception of stressful events.
- Maintain a Sense of Humor – You may have heard the statement, “I know when I look back on this situation, I will laugh about it.” My question to you is “Why wait?” Even the most difficult circumstances can be funny. Some things are so absurd, that you have to laugh about them.
Laughter is one of the most effective stress management tips that you can use. The simple act of laughing transforms the stress hormones in your body into healthier internal chemicals and hormones. Learn to develop a sense of humor on a regular basis, so that you can tap into it when you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed.
- Journal – Learn how to keep a journal and use it often. Journaling allows you to ‘dump’ all of the negative feelings and emotions that are going on inside of you and to put them down on paper (or a computer). The act of writing out your feelings and emotions can give you a great sense of relief and peace.
- Take Time for Yourself – This is probably one of the most important stress management tips that I can give you. I also know how difficult it can be to implement, because I struggle with it myself. Take time for yourself on a regular basis. It can be something as simple as reading a novel, or watching a movie, or even taking a nap. The world will not fall off its axis if you take some time for yourself. You will feel better, and you will be more effective in doing the things that you need to do.
Simple Tips, Yet Very Effective
These stress management tips are not difficult to put into action. When you use them, you will find that the stress in your life seems much more manageable. Some other things that might help you manage your stress are the Relaxation Kit or the Stress Relief Kit.
Stress is not going to go away. Once you have dealt with the stress you have in your life now, you can be sure that more stress will show up to take its place. It’s just the way life is.
However, now that you have your arsenal of stress reducers, you will find that these tools can help you cope with your stress and enjoy life more.
Subscribe to Spirituality Seekers Newsletter and
receive the free ebook How to Get What You Want
Return from Stress Management Tips to Spirituality and Health
Return from Stress Management Tips to Practical Spiritual Healing Guide Home