How to Meditate for Beginners
Some Easy Meditation Techniques That
You Can Use Right Now
There are many ways to learn how to meditate for beginners. Meditation has enormous benefits and many people want to learn how to do it. However, some people are put off by the idea of meditating because they are afraid that it is too hard to do, or that it takes too long to learn, or that you have to devote hours and hours to it. Nothing can be further from the truth.
What is meditation? Meditation is basically becoming quiet and learning to connect with your inner self. A basic key in learning how to meditate for beginners is to be able to turn your focus away from the outside world and to focus your attention within. It is learning to be silent.
Meditation also often has the reputation of being some mystical experience that only enlightened gurus or that new age people do. Actually, practicing easy meditation is something that more and more people are doing as a way of coping with stress or illness.
How to Meditate for Beginners –Things to Keep in Mind
When you first learn how to do meditation, there are several things that you need to keep in mind so you don’t get frustrated and just give up.
It takes time – We are all so used to being bombarded with things from the outside world. It takes time to learn how to quiet your mind. The more you keep at it, the easier it gets (although it might never be easy to totally quiet your mind). It is a process – An important concept to keep in mind when you are learning how to meditate for beginners is that it is a process, not a destination. You don’t suddenly arrive at the point where you can meditate. You just continue to do it and you will find that it becomes a more powerful practice as you work with it.You can’t do it incorrectly – There is no right or wrong way to meditate. As long as you are quiet and focused, you are doing it the right way.Don’t get discouraged – Keep with the practice even if it seems like you are not making any progress. Remember, it is a process.
How to Meditate for Beginners – Easy Meditation Techniques
- Same place – Try to meditate in the same place each time. When you go to that spot, your mind will already be used to being quiet.
- Comfort – Make sure that you are comfortable. It is a good idea to sit up when you meditate so you don’t fall asleep. You can use a meditation seat or one of several different types of meditation stools to see which works best for you. A Meditation Kit can help you get very comfortable.
- Timer - When you first learn how to mediate for beginners, don’t sit down for half an hour trying to be silent. It is too hard to do. Set a timer for five minutes to start with. As that becomes comfortable, you can expand it to ten minutes, then fifteen, etc.
- Breathe – An easy mediation technique is to focus on your breath. Close your eyes and gently breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Focusing on your breathe is one of the best ways to become silent and centered.
- Special Word – You can also silently repeat a word to yourself such as peace, joy, or love. You can synchronize that word to your breath to help you focus your attention even more.
- Enjoy – Regardless of how your meditation practice goes, just enjoy the peace that comes from taking your awareness away from the outside world and becoming silent.
These are some ideas about how to learn to meditate for beginners. I encourage you to work with them as you begin to practice meditation. Keep at it. It will become easier and you learn for yourself the meditation benefits that millions of people have already experienced. Subscribe to the Spirituality Seekers Newsletter and receive
the booklet How to Get What You Want as your free gift!
Return from How to Meditate for Beginners to Meditation Benefits
Return from How to Meditate for Beginners to
Practical Spiritual Healing Guide Home